Friday 27 May 2016

Hello...it's me..

I am sorry for the delay in my post but, as you might know, I am in the middle of my thesis writing and two jobs at the moment, so there is a chance that I might collapse or turn into a unicorn, no one knows.

First things first, I do not recommend students to take up numerous jobs, but I happen to find that part-time jobs, even if they narrow your free time, it is a way to canalize your focus and energy. A good and usual job for students is being a waiter/waitress in a restaurant during the weekends, and even if you do not speak dutch fluently, you can always try Amsterdam: It is 30 min away by train and during the summer they are desperate for people who can speak not only English, so your mother tongue might become handy.

Regarding my thesis, well, I feel things are starting to adopt a more coherent shape, and after our second peer group meeting I could include a different input on my topic. The problem with my subject is that when you are studying and reading about a certain regulatory approach most likely you will come across with political and social issues that-though interesting-are not part of the topic itself.

As I mentioned before, this is the first time I am writing a thesis, so I still find it like a new adventure. Personally, I took a paper I wrote for the subject Regulation and Supervision of Markets and used it as a guide-as I was quite contempt with its structure. This was a real lucky shot, as I found it less stressful to write something knowing where I wanted to go. Pretty quickly a conclusion was made: Structure is 80% of your thesis.

As from WHERE do I write my thesis...well it really depends.. it could be on the train, but only if you already know what are you going to write-as I would not trust 100% on the 'internet in the train' from NS: I think it does smell fear, as when you actually need it, it becomes super slow-but allows you to browse through Facebook quite easily. Cafés and trains are nice, buy my personal favorite is the cool, dark (don't get me wrong, I am only talking about the colour of the walls, there is plenty of light to read with) library in the Uithof. You just gotta love a place where you can take your shoes off and not be lynched by it.

Dear students (almost graduates!yay!) see you soon, make sure you are wearing matching and unbroken socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment