Tuesday 15 December 2015

Just think.. What would Mariah do?

         December 15, 2015. We are 16 days away from New Year’s Eve and if concentration was hard enough a week ago, I can imagine it is rather unthinkable at this point. This means that we have little more than two weeks to accomplish all what we promised in a similar Eve from last year. Good luck to us all.

           One of the perks of living in this beautiful city is that now I can actually be a part of it. Yesterday I attended a ‘pub quiz’, and I believe I haven't been attended one since my highschool years. I still find myself surprised at this kind of events, living in a student’s city is more exciting, Utrecht is always bubbling and coming up with a lot of activities. Of course the Christmas Markets are everywhere! I have never experienced holidays like this. Somehow it is very hard to maintain the ‘ Christmas spirit’ alive when its summer (although we eat as if we were in a gruesome winter). The good thing about that quiz Is that I got to keep our prize… a sparkling little tree; and since I don't really have decorations, I had to do what students do best: Improvise.

           I know the holidays are coming, but please, have a seat...WE NEED TO TALK. Let's discuss a difficult matter in all students life: The Thesis (thunders and lightning). Some of you might already have a topic, maybe even talk with your supervisor about it and if you are adventurous enough you might already have written a few lines about it. For others, the path is not so positive, as you can suffer from a complete lack of ideas or be overwhelmed with a bunch of them. Worry not. Thesis writing is not supposed to be easy, and as everything in life, the most important step is starting with it, then it’s all about being constant and not fall into despair. As many of you already know, there is going to be a Thesis Market on December 17, (14.00 hs, location: JKH15a 0.04), and as a student myself, I advise you not to avoid or reject any opportunity the University is giving us. There is no way of knowing when your brain will come up with a great idea, but you can sure help it by surrounding yourself in the correct environment.

           It is very hard to know what you want (whether it's job related, socially, economically, or your next lunch), but it’s far more easy to know what you DO NOT want. This is not the only way, but it's A way into deciding your thesis topic. Out of all the people that I have talked to, the most important thing is being interested in it, because then commitment is far more easy. Do not choose just because it sounds complicated, innovative and exotic, choose whatever sparks something in you: the need to investigate, ask questions, develop a train of ‘what if’s. Talk with your tutors, they can point you in the right direction. 

      Another interesting experiment is to explain your possible topic to a random person (not too random), in other words, someone that is not in your same field of study: Try to explain your thoughts and see if the person can understand your view, or if it’s too complicated or not that compelling. This might not be conclusive, but it could help you to play with the idea and giving it a different shape. I hate to bring up dates, but we have until 6th of January till we submit our topic. If you are struggling, then speak up, the university is more than equipped with staff that can help you out.


       
       I'm back on my bike again and feeling like speed racer. Well maybe not so fast, but you get the idea. Time to brainstorm and sing along Mariah Carey. Can you imagine how different would the world be if all she ever wanted for Christmas was a ‘thesis topic’ ? We will never know for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment