Wednesday 9 December 2015

Sneaky sun on the rise

         December is on the rice, I mean rise, and I know concertation, I mean concentration is very hard to accomplish. But we've made it this far students, we are only one week away from holidays season and most of you are probably planning what date to go home, get plane tickets, buying presents and deciding whether you are sleeping 12, 13 or 3 hours. I understand your pain, but real life is still very much here, and so there are still papers to be written and presentations to be held.

       On a more Christmasy news, yesterday I was part of an Exchange meeting, and we discussed a bit Dutch traditions and I am very pleased to know more about it, rather than pretending I know what's going on when I see little kids in colorful costumes. I'm sure that by now you must know the difference between Sinterklaas and Santa Claus, if not, then you are really not making an effort. Sinterklaas was an actual person, and this tradition dates back from BC times, and (spoiler alert) did you know that even though the traditional dutch songs says he came from Spain, that is not geographically correct? He actually came from Turkey. I also heard that on the 5th of December we (the dutch), do not celebrate Sinterklaas birthday, but we actually commemorate his passing.I know, I'm 26 years old and I am a fan of his. Any celebration that includes chocolate is bound to be close to my heart, and reflected on the bathroom scale.

             Over the last few days I have been walking and taking buses again, as my bike is in the hospital right now. How did this device become such a big part of my life? It certainly constitutes a lot more than a means of transportation. I have come to think that part of Dutch happiness is due to the biking, because of the freedom it implies, even if it’s cold and raining, you just don't get into a bus so easily. Which makes me remember, we actually had some real life sun in Utrecht, but luckily I didn’t go for the hawaiian look, because it was actually pretty cold in the shade. Do not get fooled, over-wear clothes, better safe than sorry on that matter.

           Another thing that happened yesterday was going through the decisions and steps that got me in to Utrecht. The meetings, the papers, the application, it was not so long ago, but everything is moving so fast, that sometimes I need to stop and remember how did I get to this point. This is important in order to know about our progress: be proud of yourself and your courage. Once again I'm happy to know new concepts and not panic or get confused when I hear the word cartel (in spanish it means “a sign”) or concerted practice. As clases advance we become a part of the program rather than being only spectators. Participation is unavoidable, and that is the reason why you become a key player during lectures and seminars.
           
Speaking of which, I have a presentation to re-read, and an essay to look into. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a glimpse of freedom before the holidays. Remember: Do not trust a December sun, you must always keep your winter socks on.Tot later!


No comments:

Post a Comment